Wednesday, July 26, 2006

For All Mankind

On the 35th anniversary of Apollo 15's blastoff on a moon mission, this post is to honor Lunar Module Pilot James Benson Irwin (March 17, 1930 – August 8, 1991).

"Irwin said that it was his experience exploring the moon on the Apollo 15 mission in July 1971 that moved him to devote the rest of his life to "spreading the good news of Jesus Christ."
(http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jbirwin.htm)


For All Mankind, Apollo Pictures, 1989
(Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.)
I felt like I was an alien as I traveled through space. But when I got on the moon I didn’t feel that, at all. I felt at home there even though the earth was a long ways away. We could see it directly above about the size of a marble and realized it was there but by the grace of God.

I felt like I was at the end of a thin cord that could be cut at any time. It was precarious but yet I felt comfortable. I felt something other than what we can visually sense. A spiritual presence was there. Perhaps it was because so many people on the earth were focusing their attention on us, they were maybe sending signals to us somehow.

I sensed, I guess in a way much like maybe the first man on the earth would have sensed. Like Adam, perhaps Eve, when they were standing on the earth and realized they were all alone, there was no one else on the earth, but yet they had that special communication. And I guess it was similar to the feeling I had on the moon when I realized that day that David Scott and I were the only two on this vast planet, another world, we were the only two there. We felt an unseen love. We are not alone.

James Benson Irwin, Apollo 15


James Irwin saluting the American Flag on the moon.
James Irwin on the moon.

“Beyond his achievements as an astronaut with NASA, Irwin is perhaps most notable for his attempts to use his experiences on the Moon to spread his belief in Christianity. He left NASA and retired from the Air Force with the rank of colonel in 1972 and founded High Flight, a Christian ministry. He frequently commented about how his experiences in space had made the presence of God even more real to him than before.”
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Irwin)
(Apollo 15: http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/imagery/apollo/AS15/a15.htm)
He was buried in Section 3 of Arlington National Cemetery.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THS. Thanks for stopping by. No argument here. I have to try to put Christ first EVERY SECOND of my day. And the church PAYS ME!!! Can you believe it. But. We are all on a journey towards putting Christ first. And you might be ahead of the game. It sounds like you think you are. So I will assume you are. I am here to be real with myself, others, and God. And my church follows me because of it. So. No. You won't find fluff here. No sermons. You will find real, unpolished, people trying to fight their way through Christianity. Hang out a bit. You will see what I mean.
Los

12:25 AM  
Blogger The Scribe said...

My apologies LOS, I was not trying to judge you. I was trying to encourage you...in my bull-in-a-chinashop way. God's still working on me and he's got a long way to go, so I'm way behind in the game.

I PROMISE to hold you up in prayer. People like you are so very important to the body of christ. God has called you and we need you to be strong. I am confident you will successfully fight the good fight because he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for again posting something so strong.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home